True consciousness

With the general election just days away there were plenty of entertaining conversations at work today: the merits of each party; the prospect of a hung parliament; first past the post versus proportional representation; tactical voting versus ideological.

People seem quite animated, with little animosity on display. I'd really like to be involved in the democratic process on the night, sorting and counting votes. It is too late now to sign up, but perhaps if I'm in a position to do so next time I'll get the chance.

I'm at the Real Greek since the evening is fine enough to sit out.

A solitary devotee of Krishna has just gone by, castanets on the go, chanting the Hare Krishna mantra, undeterred by the absence of others of his clade. I had always assumed Hare Krishna was a person they venerated (as in Buddha, Mohammed, or Christ), but having consulted Wikipedia (accepting the one true encyclopaedia, forsaking all others.) I now realise the mantra refers to the god-head, Krishna from whom all avatars are sprung. The vibrations from the sounds of his names when repeated in the mantra bring one towards the true consciousness of the god-head. I wonder how that feels.

♪♫♪ "Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama
Rama Rama Hare Hare"
♪♫♪

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A confusing smorgasbord of antipathies

Why, oh why, am I puffed up like a balloon after my operation?

Brimming with possibility