Linger overly long

Change of venue for this morning's coffee stop. I'm at Paul's for a Latte and Escargots aux Raisins. Despite achieving an A in French GCSE many years ago, I point and say "one of those" rather than risk a sneering correction of my accent by one of their typically Parisian staff.

The Raisin Danish is delicious despite engendering feelings of inadequacy. It is a bit breezy to be sitting outside. Up in Yorkshire we'd call it brisk or bracing, but it is good to feel connected to the world. I have to be prompt into the office for a 9am team meeting. I was late to the last one two weeks ago, so the chill in the air will ensure I don't linger overly long with my coffee.

At this hour there are only Ravens and Kingfishers about. The Peacocks won't appear until later.

Hopping away from the bird metaphor to talk about actual birds - as I leave Paul’s and enter Paternoster Square I see the bird handlers with their Harris Hawks. They seem to fly the hawks every Wednesday morning, presumably to keep the pigeons away. I can’t say I’ve ever seen the hawks do more than lurk menacingly where they perch on the Paternoster Memorial like sulky teenagers. The seagulls flying high above are billy bothered.

Next week I must remember to have my Wednesday morning coffee at the Starbucks in Paternoster Square so I can watch proceedings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A confusing smorgasbord of antipathies

Why, oh why, am I puffed up like a balloon after my operation?

Brimming with possibility