Scuppered

I have a large area of decking at the back of the house, which was constructed by the previous incumbent. Ground level drops away from the front of the house to the back, so what is ground level at the front is one storey up at the back. The decking was built on 2m stilts in order to be level with the 'ground floor' of the house. I've never seen anything like it, and I'm sure the neighbours weren't best impressed when it was put up.

This time last year I wrote that I'd been swabbing the decking. I did intend to apply an oil to the deck afterwards, but wet weather and a tree releasing a tonne of fluffy floaty seeds which coated every surface conspired to put me off. I've had that tree pruned, so there would be no seeds to scupper my plans this year.

I spent last weekend cleaning the decking with a pressure washer, and it is now ready for the oil. We've had beautiful weather all week while I've been stuck at work in London. I've been avidly checking the Leeds forecast for this weekend, which has gradually deteriorated to include the possibility of thunderstorms.

I wasn't too concerned about this - I booked a couple of days off work, which in combination with the Good Friday, Easter Monday, Royal Wedding, and May Day bank holidays has given me a ten day break. I thought we're bound to have a few dry days in that period when I can oil the decking. What could go wrong?

Cue the common cold. Sore throat, runny nose, blocked sinuses. Misery.

Scuppered. Again. Arrrrghgggh....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A confusing smorgasbord of antipathies

Why, oh why, am I puffed up like a balloon after my operation?

Brimming with possibility