Smell the internet

The doorbell just rang, which is unusual as I don't generally have casual callers at this time in the evening, so I raced down the stairs to answer the door. When I opened it I was faced with a young woman and a girl in Woodland Trust tabards. They both waved their arms and chimed "Hello!" immediately followed with the woman chirping "Aw, don't you look cute with your hair in a little bob!"

"Would you mind not patronising me on my own doorstep and tell me why you're calling?" I responded. You can tell I wasn't best pleased. I'm never happy to be called to the door by chuggers, but I'm damned if I'll be insulted by cold callers. It might have been a suitable greeting if a toddler had opened the door, but it's just a teeny weeny bit inappropriate for anyone over the age of five.

She seemed non-plussed by my directness, and launched into the usual chugger routine of asking questions that demand a "yes" response, so that when the moment comes to ask you to sign up you're supposed to automatically say "yes!" Perhaps I'm easily insulted, but frankly who would be pleased with the assumption that you're of limited mental capacity and easy prey to these naff sales techniques?

"You've heard of the Woodland Trust?" she asked.

Beginning to feel the winter cold, I replied "I've no wish to talk about the Woodland Trust on my doorstep, goodbye!" and shut the door.

Opening the door to an unexpected caller on a cold dark winter night would give anyone elderly, ill or living alone pause for thought. Do they seriously expect people to stand there freezing while they rattle through their ten minute sales patter? What planet are these folks on?

To all cold callers - wake up and smell the internet. I don't buy or donate on my doorstep, if I'm inclined to do either then I do it online. You're obsolete. You're a menace to society. Stop knocking at my door. You are the weakest link. Goodbye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A confusing smorgasbord of antipathies

Why, oh why, am I puffed up like a balloon after my operation?

Brimming with possibility