True lasting legacy

Christmas has come and gone like a hurricane: weeks of worry and preparation, the pantry stocked to the brim with provisions, then the day itself passes in a whirlwind, leaving the house strewn with detritus in its wake. Now the storm has passed it is time to look back at 2010.

In 2010 I learnt to crochet, use a soldering iron, hang doors, rewire light fittings, operate a sewing machine, and propagate succulents. And there’s more. I know there is. I’m sure there is.

I managed to return to work, finally judged fit by the company doctor. Throughout the year I’ve seen various consultants with diverse maladies, though thankfully nothing has required major medical intervention.

The general election inspired me to paint, an odd muse perhaps, but my target was the basement not a canvas. I listened to the journalists covering the election results as I covered the walls with paint. Whatever indignities this coalition of convenience may inflict, I suspect my three freshly painted basement rooms will be their true lasting legacy.

I spent many hours outdoors: mowing, planting and pruning. The garden supplied a harvest of black and redcurrants to supplement the potatoes, carrots and onions I grew. A bumper crop of apples was allowed to fall and provide sustenance for insects and birds.

A tree surgeon worked his magic to bring more light into the garden, a chimney sweep swept the chimneys, and a roofer fixed my leaky roof. The central heating system needed TLC on several occasions, usually coinciding with arctic weather.

The neighbours got planning permission for a bizarre extension, but to my great relief they seem in no hurry to build it.

My holidays this year have been taken in sunny Leeds, with the exception of a trip to Stratford-upon-Avon in the spring with my friend Claire, and to Amsterdam in the autumn with my brother. I’m glad I stayed close to home - it has been a bad year for vacationers: Eyjafjallajökull closed down airspace, strikes grounded planes and snow closed airports.

As years go 2010 followed the usual conventions in time honoured fashion with days getting longer then shorter, warmer then colder, et cetera then so forth, yada yada yada. It's funny how each and every year we are surprised by the turning of the seasons. You'd think after the first dozen years we'd get the hang of it.

From an icy beginning to an icy end, farewell 2010.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A confusing smorgasbord of antipathies

Why, oh why, am I puffed up like a balloon after my operation?

Brimming with possibility