Friday 22 October 2010

The late great

With nine days to go before All Hallow's Eve I've started the preparation for this year's pumpkin carving fest.

Each year I buy a couple of patterns from Zombie Pumpkins who have an awesome selection.

My dad is an avid fan of the late great Frank Zappa so I'll be creating an FZ pumpkin especially for him. First I search for a suitable photograph from which I can create a likeness that can be transferred to the pumpkin. I have no particular artistic talent, so transforming a photo into a two tone pattern takes me quite a bit of time.


When I come to carve this pumpkin I'll remove the skin but leave the flesh behind, varying the depth of my cuts. When lit by candle it will create a portrait effect.

Next week I'll scour the shops looking for perfect pumpkins. It is always a tough judgement call - leaving it late enough to get fresh pumpkins, but not so late they've all sold out. Then of course I'll go hunting high and low for my carving kit which, abiding by the Law of Sod, is always in the last place I look.

I'll post my trophy pictures on the pumpkins page once my victims are selected, their flesh is flayed, and they're all carved up.

Mwah ha ha haaaa...

No comments:

Post a Comment