Captain Duvet

In my student days I would bellow 'Captain Duvet' in much the same way as Captain Caveman.

I enjoyed a bit of a snooze in the afternoon back then. I look back and recognise the effects of a high carbohydrate diet which routinely sent me hyperglycaemic and off to the land of nod. 'I could sleep for Britain,' I would declare 'and bring home the Olympic Gold Medal.'


A few years later I would start to see the flip side - feeling grouchy, indecisive and faint: effects of hypoglycaemia as my blood sugar levels dropped through the floor if a meal was skipped.

It took me a long time to cotton on to the pattern behind these two extremes, and to link it to my diet. I'm sure a lot of people who end up with Type 2 Diabetes do so because they're ignorant of these signposts. My diet is no longer as carb heavy, and Captain Duvet is a relegated to the dusty corridors of fond memories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A confusing smorgasbord of antipathies

Why, oh why, am I puffed up like a balloon after my operation?

Brimming with possibility