The fringe of unremarkable

I haven't felt inspired to write this week, but suddenly the urge is here.

I took the bus from work to Kings Cross, and received an object lesson in how the world would have impinged on the olfactory senses before the advent of soap and deodorant. I guess it must have been the fellow sat behind me, though constrained by societal norms I could not turn to confirm my supposition.

A man with walking sticks boarded, and the lady next to me relinquished her seat. A young man who'd been fidgeting so vigorously I'd assumed he was high on something took the seat. I looked over to the man with the sticks and he was smiling. I'm not sure if it was with incredulity, or he genuinely didn't want the seat. A stop later an elderly bloke got on, and mister fidget immediately stood and offered him the seat.

The fidgeter practically bounced off the walls and ceiling for the rest of the trip. It was a real relief to get off. I stole a quick look the odious gentleman behind me as I debarked. He looked reasonably well presented, on the fringe of unremarkable, with a hint of homelessness.

I have a first class train ticket for my journey back to Leeds, so I'm resting in relative peace and comfort.

As we pulled out of Kings Cross we passed Kings Place, sheathed in waves of glass. Reflections of light and sky shimmered across the glass creating a realistic impression of a waterfall of flowing water. It was a most captivating illusion. I was rather bemused that this facade had been created where only a handful of trains per day would see its effect.


Since leaving the bus I keep catching a whiff of that malodourous scent. Either I've been contaminated somehow, or the smell lingers in my nose. The thought also occurs that the pong might actually originate from me. Halitosis? I must remember to stock up on sugar free mints.

I embarked upon a low carbohydrate diet on Monday. I feel my head is in the right place. It is like a switch has been flicked. I've transitioned from being unhappy about my weight to doing something about it. Temptations and excuses are easily fended off.

I've just arranged to meet dad for a 'crack of dawn' walk tomorrow - 5:30am. He is my inspiration, we've both travelled the 'obese to normal' trail together before.

Dad turns 60 tomorrow, but he doesn't want a party, so it will be a low key evening. My brother and I have been scheming for several months regarding his presents. I hope we've got it right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A confusing smorgasbord of antipathies

Why, oh why, am I puffed up like a balloon after my operation?

Brimming with possibility