D1 NYL

I saw the perfect personalised number plate while driving yesterday : D1 NYL

I'm stuck on the Leeds-London train this morning. Ripening heads of wheat bow for the benediction of the sun outside the carriage window. I should be seeing Islington blur by as we steam into Kings Cross, but delays beset our journey, and we are still deep in the countryside.

The train jerks into life, picking up speed. The intercom announces that we're 30 minutes behind schedule. Public transport stutters and a thousand people are late for work.

I'm mesmerised by the railway tracks paralleling our own as we barrel towards the capital. Seemingly stationary, the rails flicker and gleam with reflected light. Periodically they swoop away, allowing a platform to intrude between us, before snaking back to cosy up as though we'd never been parted. Oh fickle rails.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A confusing smorgasbord of antipathies

Why, oh why, am I puffed up like a balloon after my operation?

Brimming with possibility