Monday 16 August 2010

Blinking and breathing

I seem to have made a decision to participate in life beyond the autonomous actions of blinking and breathing. It was not a choice I was conscious of making. The actual moment passed by unrecognised.

It is nearly two years since my last cancer diagnosis. The first year zoomed by in a flurry of treatments and appointments. The second year dragged me along in a state of numb distress and depression.

Off work, socially isolated, dealing with the daily discomfort of lymphedema, there seemed nothing in my future but the prospect of more bouts with cancer. I couldn't see much point in living my life. Each day I continued the bare routines of existence, on the premise that a reason to live might crop up, whereas ending it all would certainly rule out any further contemplation on the subject.

A few weeks ago I saw a headline about a solar eclipse which sent me off on an internet quest to learn more about the phenomena. I discovered a great website with predictions for all the eclipses, detaining the when and the where of each event, beautifully plotted out on maps.

On a whim I looked to see when one might see a total eclipse without travelling to some obscure place. On Monday 21st August 2017 a total eclipse will occur over North America. Totality will be visible on a path that runs from Lincoln Beach in Oregon, through Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee to Awendaw in South Carolina.

The solar eclipse of 17th August 2017

It is a little too far in advance to book the flights, but I plan on being there.

Last week, inspired by my dad, I embarked upon a diet, which is going strong with 9lbs lost (the bulk of which will be water as my body depletes its glycogen store). My goal is laid out in a spread sheet that I'm using as a detailed food diary and weight record. In return it calculates my BMI, lbs lost and progress towards my target weight.

It was only yesterday that I linked the proposed eclipse vacation with the diet, and realised that I had made a long term plan and set myself a personal challenge.

My eyes lift from where they were focussed on my feet, and my gaze lengthens to take in the distant horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment