Monday 28 June 2010

Swell and fade

The combination of an excess of heat in the office and a shortfall of sleep has left me struggling to stay alert this morning.

I'm starting to get pains in my right wrist which are very reminiscent of the RSI symptoms I've suffered in the past. It hurts when I try to manipulate the mouse, and it hurts now typing this on my PDA. Lymphedema and RSI in the same arm would be a serious issue. I'll have to mention it at my next clinic appointment.

I dashed away from my desk the moment the clock ticked to 12pm, desperate to inject some movement and sunshine into my day in a bid to re-energise. I'm sitting in the shade in Paternoster Square letting my eyes soak up the rays without broiling in direct sunlight. It is a gorgeous day.

On a day like today with its basking heat and bleaching sun, Paternoster Square reminds me of Piazza del Campidoglio in Rome. Of course we Brits are distinctly less well dressed than the Italians, and Michelangelo had nothing to do with the design of our square. I feel like I've taken a mini-break, a 30 minute holiday.

A melodramatic tune is being bashed out on a piano somewhere. The notes swell and fade with the vagaries of the breeze, sometimes taking centre stage, then dropping into the background to be swamped by chatter, the chuckling of the fountain and the clopping footfalls of ladies in high heels.

The sun is swinging round, and my shady spot is shrinking, so it is time to head back to work.

As I cross the square I find the source of the music: a 'Play me, I'm Yours' City of London Festival piano. The music rises to a crescendo finish, and a smattering of applause showers the lady who rises from the piano seat. From her business attire I guess that she, like myself, was taking a mini-holiday from her working day.

For both of us our mini vacation is over, and we each head back to our offices.

No comments:

Post a Comment