Showering, ironing, coffee, packing

It was touch and go this morning as to whether I would be well enough to make the trip to London. I was awake at 3:40am with painful cramps. I got up when my alarm sounded, took some painkillers and embarked on my usual preparations: showering, ironing, coffee, packing. At 5am I was curled in a ball on my bed seriously doubting I'd manage the two and a half hour train journey let alone the day ahead.

I bit my lip, girded my loins, and I'm here on the train now. Coping. Just.

My own advice to myself and others: "Don't struggle on if you're not well. Take the time off. Get well."

The only thing stopping me taking my own advice? The cost of train tickets to London. Missing my train would have cost me the £41 fare, as my tickets aren't flexible. Purchasing another ticket to travel tomorrow would have cost me anywhere in the region of £80-110. I can only get reasonably discounted fares if I'm booking at least a month in the future.

There is another small matter. I'm not entitled to paid sick leave until I've been back for 28 weeks. Seems mad given that I've been off with a serious illness. Making the judgement that I was fit enough to return meant also betting that nothing else would lay me low. I had to be robust enough to fight off colds, stomach upsets, etc.

So here I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A confusing smorgasbord of antipathies

Why, oh why, am I puffed up like a balloon after my operation?

Brimming with possibility