An average cow

Well my experiment this morning to discover whether the 7:08am train was quieter than the 7:28am was a bust. If anything it was twice as bad. I was stood by the door watching as more people got on at each stop. Just as I was convinced we couldn't crush any closer we pulled into another station and six more people barrelled on. This amazing contravention of the laws of physics was repeated at the next stop.

If we were cattle en-route to market we'd be covered by EU regulations:

“No person shall transport animals or cause animals to be transported in a way that is likely to cause injury or undue suffering to them” (Source: Council Regulation (EC) No 1/2005 on the protection of animals during transport and related operations and amending Directives)

Provide as a minimum floor areas per animal below.
- Medium calves (110kg) – 0.40m² to 0.70m²


If I was an average cow (and many think I am) then the train company would have to ensure that I had a minimum floor area for standing of 63cm by 63cm. I didn't have half that on the nightmarish 7:08am train.

I'm at Paul's for my breakfast today, opting for the Pain au Chocolat to accompany my Latte. My French may have atrophied, but I didn't need to say "one of those" to order it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A confusing smorgasbord of antipathies

Why, oh why, am I puffed up like a balloon after my operation?

Brimming with possibility